Job Title: Faculty
Faculty: Aviation Operations
Faculty provide effective instruction in two or more of the Aviation Operations disciplines including Air Operations, Airmanship, Navigation, Principles of Flight and Meteorology at Khalifa Bin Zayed Air College, a Military Aviation College. Faculty may also be required to provide instruction on Air Defence and Unmanned Aircraft Systems courses. By using various learning methodologies that support a learning by doing philosophy, curriculum is taught to second language learners within a student-centric learning environment that fosters respect for students, their culture, and traditions. Faculty members play an important role in assisting with the development and preservation of system-wide and directorate-specific policies, and are viewed as active participants in academic and extra-curricular events at the College and within the community.
All full-time faculty are required to work 8 hours per day / 40 hours per week, excluding the lunch break. The work days in a week are normally 6:30 am to 14:00 pm Monday to Thursday & 6:30 am to 12:00 pm on Fridays. Sometimes work on Sundays as normal working days.
The hours of work for academic employees are based on the teaching schedule. Generally, the workload for faculty is 20 contact hours per week, averaged over an academic year
- A Master's Degree in an Aviation discipline including Aviation Science, Aviation Management, Aviation Engineering or a Master's degree in any discipline with a Major in Aviation.
- A Bachelor's Degree may be considered for candidates with Professional and Commercial Aviation qualifications and extensive military or industry experience and industry certification.
- Appropriate academic professional qualifications as required
In support of Emiratization, HCT may exercise flexibility with the experience or education requirement in order to recruit UAE National candidates who show potential for success in the role.
Skills and Experience
- A minimum of 3 years of teaching/training experience at a tertiary level, preferably in the areas of Aviation Operations or Air Defense Operations.
- Military Service or experience of training at a Military facility is preferable.
- At least 3 years of relevant industrial experience in the core discipline.
- Must be able to provide instruction at various levels within the program areas
- Possess specialist knowledge and proven ability to operate specialist equipment and use discipline- specific software
- Have effective presentation skills, both theoretical and practical
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and a demonstrated competency to interact with people at all levels of the organization
- A high degree of computer literacy and demonstrated ability to integrate technology into the learning environment and teaching methodology
- Have current knowledge of industry practices, trends and issues
- Demonstrate the ability to function as a team player within a multi-cultural work environment
- Overseas teaching/training experience to non-native English speakers is desirable.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential
- Fluency in spoken and written Arabic is a plus
Duties and Responsibilities
- Using a practical, applied approach teaches a range of Aviation Operations disciplines including Air Operations, Airmanship, Navigation, Principles of Flight and Meteorology courses that are in line with course and program goals to meet the needs and aspirations of the students and the community
- Develops and utilizes various educational technology resources to ensure that effective and innovative instruction methodologies are employed
- Applies strategies to ensure effective student learning is achieved within a second language environment, providing continuous feedback on student progress through a variety of assessment tools, including tests, projects, assignments and other evaluation instruments
- Takes a student-centered approach, providing students with individual assistance, and dealing promptly with student issues by liaising directly with the student, program supervisor and other College personnel as required
- Supports and mentors students during internships and work placements
- Maintains regular office hours in order to advise and assist students
- Monitors student progress continuously both on a college and system-wide basis
- Ensures that teaching facilities, equipment and supplies are maintained in good working order
- Provides input to program and course reviews and makes recommendations based on consultations with students, colleagues and external agencies such as business, industry and schools
- Keeps abreast of developments in the field by engaging in professional development activities
- Contributes to the development of the HCT by monitoring programs and identifying areas for improvement; by observing and implementing College and system-wide policies and procedures; and by participating in extra-curricular activities and community events
- Travels to other HCT colleges to attend meetings, workshops and conferences as required
- Develops an awareness of and respect for the customs and cultures of HCT students and employees
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- Reports to the Aviation Science Program Chair